5 BEST THINGS ABOUT BEING COELIAC
I have enjoyed reading many lists of the trials and tribulations and downsides and dilemmas of being a coeliac. I enjoy them not because the things within are fun or nice but because I can identify with them and it feels better that they are shared and that there is a community of coeliacs that support each other with advice, encouragement and empathy.
I have not ever encountered a list of good things about being a Coeliac though so rather than add another list of the negatives, I decided to take a go at that.
CAVEATS, DISCLAIMERS & CONTEXT
This is a list of “silver linings” rather than an argument that being a coeliac is good. I would absolutely prefer not to be a coeliac. No doubt.
These are my *personal* 5 Best Things. I do not argue that they are or should be true for others.
There are several things which strongly shape my perspective which are going to be shared by some people and not others. These include:
- I feel great pretty much all the time – I credit my microbiota, they seem happy
- The villi in my lower intestine (colon) have healed on a gluten-free diet
- Independent of being coeliac I am hugely interested and well educated about diet and nutrition
- I follow a whole food, plant-based, nutrient dense diet with limited highly processed food
- I have sufficient income that spending extra on higher cost food is possible
- I enjoy cooking, have decent cooking skills and prepare most of my own meals
. . . enough context, now for the Big 5!